Tuesday, September 12, 2017

Let's put those electrons to work!

I'm Aaron Lanterman, a Professor of Electrical and Computer Engineering at Georgia Tech.* This is my blog on DIY electronics**, with an aesthetic bent towards the retrofuristic: steampunk, dieselpunk, and games such as Bioshock and Fallout. Over the next few months, we'll design and construct a custom bass guitar pedal and a R2-D2 hat that bleeps and blinks. We'll hack together some custom game controllers and portable gaming consoles. We'll play around with analog circuits for music synthesis. We'll fix some old tube radios. We'll fix a car's air conditioning using three zip ties and install a new car stereo.

Along the way, we'll do some reverse engineering, and experiment with "single-board computers" like the Raspberry Pi and "microcontroller boards" like Arduinos and the Texas Instruments Launchpads.

I have another blog, focused on education: Edupocalypse Now: Education and Innovation in the End Times.

Like everyone else in 2006, I had a Livejournal where I posted political rants and personal life observations. (I technically still have it, although I don't post much there nowadays.)

*Opinions expressed here are my own, and not those of my employer. I may at times provide commentary on equipment that was donated to me or  Georgia Tech; I will disclose such situations in the interest of fairness (although I believe I can offer unbiased advise).

**Any electronic project may present a risk of injury or death, particularly when dealing with mains voltages. It is important to follow appropriate safety practices. The author of these pages, Aaron Lanterman, disclaims any liability for injury, death, or other damage caused in using any of the information contained on these webpages.

No comments:

Post a Comment